A charred or burnt socket is a sign that something’s wrong with your electrical system.
It can be caused by:
- Appliances demanding too much power from a socket which leads to overheating.
- Electrical connections coming loose in the back of the socket.
Cracks can be particularly dangerous because dampness may create a path from the live terminals to the surface of the socket. A cracked cover can also shift around within the electrical box, leading to loose wires. This creates the potential for live electrical connections to short against the metal back box.
A Damaged electrical socket should not be used and should be replaced as soon as possible.